Ukrainian Canadian Leadership Establishes Humanitarian Relief Hub in Preparation for Further Russian Invasion
TORONTO/OTTAWA – The Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) and the Canada-Ukraine Foundation (CUF) today announced the establishment of a Humanitarian Relief Committee in preparation of a humanitarian crisis ensuing from further Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The Ukraine Humanitarian Relief Committee is established jointly by the two organizations to formalize a coordinated approach in providing humanitarian assistance quickly and efficiently to those in need in Ukraine to address any further aggression by Russia. The committee will work with the Ukrainian Canadian community across Canada to reduce duplication of effort, increase efficiency and ensure aid efforts have the most effective impact for Ukrainian citizens affected by crisis.
A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between UCC and CUF details a framework for mutual collaboration. The MOA’s main purpose and scope is as follows:
- to work collaboratively on humanitarian assistance initiatives directed towards Ukraine, facilitating uniform and coordinated action between the UCC and CUF, its branches, and members, while building on the recognized expertise, experience, and resources of each organization;
- to develop projects that will combine the subject matter and implementation experience of CUF with the expertise of UCC in uniting the Ukrainian Canadian community;
- to offer donors and other stakeholders an opportunity to make contributions and receive reports through a single channel; and
- to adopt a coordinated approach in collaboration with donors and other stakeholders who wish to support people in Ukraine affected by crisis.
The main efforts of cooperation will be to provide humanitarian assistance/relief in the areas of Assistance to displaced persons, Medical care, Emergency shelter and Food security. The roles and responsibilities of UCC and CUF are detailed in the MOA, including financial accountability, reporting requirements and overall transparency to the Ukrainian Canadian community.
The members of the committee are:
- Victor Hetmanczuk – Chair
- Oksana Kuzyshyn – Vice-Chair
- Olesia Luciw-Andryjowycz – Secretary
- Anna Kuprieieva – Member
“The Ukrainian Canadian community is extremely concerned about the ongoing escalation of Russian aggression on Ukraine’s borders. As Canadians, we stand with the Ukrainian people, and their right to enjoy freedom, democracy, and live in a safe and secure independent state,” stated Alexandra Chyczij, National President of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress.
“For almost three decades, the Canada-Ukraine Foundation has helped coordinate and deliver humanitarian aid to Ukraine as it makes strides to grow its democracy towards economic prosperity and freedom,” added Orest Sklierenko, CUF’s President and CEO. “Our foundation was created to help in times of need; with the continued aggression and interference from the Putin regime, we are turning to all Canadians to help support this vital humanitarian work.”
The Ukrainian Canadian Congress brings together under one umbrella all the national, provincial and local Ukrainian Canadian organizations. The Canada-Ukraine Foundation was formed in order to coordinate, develop, organize and deliver assistance projects generated by Canadians and directed to Ukraine.
Donations in support of humanitarian relief can be made through: www.cufoundation.ca or by sending a cheque to CUF office.
For further information: [email protected]